Port Logistics LTd proudly carries out a transparent, accessible and efficient environmental policy in full accordance with official regulations and guidelines. The policy lays a foundation for development and fulfilment of specific targets and tasks in the area of environmental protection, sustainable use of natural resources and environmental safety.
The company uses a sequential procedures methodology, where future actions are shaped on the basis of the data received as a result of the previous level procedures.
The process of environmental protection activities management has the following sequence of procedures:
- Primary records in connection to the environmental protection;
- Definition of current responsibilities in environmental protection and development of measures to minimize environmental impact;
- Identification of ‘goal and plan environmental index’ describing current environmental responsibilities;
- Analysis and efficient evaluation of environmental protection activities;
- Definition of further actions for improvement ‘of the environmental protection activities’ and further reductions in environmental impact.
A ‘complex’ of ‘organisational’, technical and protective measures for reduction of the environmental impact has been introduced for the operation of sea terminal facilities.
- Quays to have an asfalt cover, which prevents ground contamination from transshipped cargo;
- To prevent contamination of the water area, the port uses effluent treatment facilities for rain water with capacity of 300m3 per day. These facilities ensure that the maximum concentration levels of harmful substances are not exceeded;
- To further reduce negative impact during waste handling, the port has agreements in place with licensed waste treatment companies and performs selective collection of operational wastes.
In the framework of compensatory measures for exhaust and noise impact reduction, Port Logistics LTd has introduced and adheres to the following environmental safety program:
- The constant monitoring of air quality and physical impact on it;
- The installation of a dust suppression system, designed as a wall of water droplets and situated between areas of port operations and residential areas to keep coal dust within the port limits;
- Additional concrete supports installed for cargo stacking, that also work as dust collectors. Dusty cargo temporary collection points are equipped with dust protection covers;
- Covers all expenses for the installation of soundproof windows in nearby residential areas and in addition, provides residents with individual air-purifying units;
- Significant changes have been implemented in a process of cargo handling to decrease maximum limits for emissions and noise, including reducing some night-time operations.
Monitoring air, water and soil conditions allows for evaluation of current condition and any changes in environmental components. The results show that the condition of the environmental components in the operational area is stable. Management and specialists of Port Logistics LLC attend regular training courses covering all aspects of environmental protection and safety and remain focused and intent on delivering what is expected.